Wednesday 25 January 2017

The day has come...

The day has finally arrived!
I have been procrastinating for over 10 years, on whether to change my citizenship.
I lived my first 17 years in my home country, Malaysia, followed by another 35 years in Singapore. My higher educations were completed in Singapore. I have been working in none other places other than in Singapore (short for 3 years fellowship training in US).
My wife and children are native Singaporeans. I have more acquantance in Singapore than in Malaysia.
Somehow, I still have this emotional bondage with Malaysia. My mom and siblings are still in Malaysia.
I have been hoping and praying that it would prosper and thrive, without any racial prejudices and fanatical religious animosities. But, things seem to get from bad to worse. Those in power are corrupted, and openly trump up racial hatred / nuaces in politics.

I finally submitted my citizenship application form at the ICA Building today. The whole process was completed in 15 minutes. Now just have to wait for reply from the authority.

Addendum:
Received notification in August re: need to complete "Singapore Journey" before my application for citizenship is finalized/approved. 

Completed the Singapore Experiential Visit to National Museum and Newater Plants on 27-9-2017, and Community Sharing Session at Marine Parade CC on 14-10-2017.

Finally submitted application form to renounce Malaysian citizenship on 8-11-2017, and officially pledge allegiance (and applied for Singapore passport/IC) to Singapore on 17-11-2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment