Wednesday 24 April 2013

Craving - cause of suffering!

I must admit that life has been very kind to me.
As my wife put it, I have been blessed through and through - managed to enter into good schools during younger days, did well in major school exams, clinched a place in the much sought after medical studies, successfully completed specialty and then subspecialty training in my preferred choices, and gainfully employed. I never had to worry about being turned down in job interview, seemed to well liked by peers and colleagues, and most importantly relatively spared of risk of being retrenched in this age of economical restructuring. The transition of work from public to private institution had also been quite smooth.
What further can I ask for? I should be contented with what I possess.

However, human nature is such that we tend to crave for more things, perhaps to pamper our, and sometimes to show off to others that we have "arrived"!
At times, I envy my friends who drive luxurious cars and stay in big landed houses. I feel inferior when reading news report of child prodigies who excel in their studies. I am amazed at how some savvy investors who do not hold any professional degrees managed to amass great wealth and properties during the property  boom over the past decades.
These little cravings inevitably bring forth tinge of unhappiness and dejection. It then strikes me that Buddha's teaching that "life is full of suffering" and the main cause of suffering stems from "craving" for things that are not ours... How true!

We should be contented with what we have. Yes, we can work hard to achieve our aims of leading a good life for ourselves and our families; but it should not come at the expense of our health and others wellbeing.We should not be jealous of the achievement / success of others. It will be wonderful if we can rejoice with success of others. If not, the least we can do is not to harbour any ill feelings towards their success.

In other words, be happy with what we have. In time of adversity, keep our spirits up and never give up. Never let negative emotions overwhelm us! There will always be light at the end of the tunnel. As the Chinese saying goes "知足常满" (once you are contented with what you have, you will always be happy)!

No comments:

Post a Comment