Saturday 26 January 2013

Junior College Days

After completing Form 5 (equivalent of Secondary 4 in Singapore) in Chung Ling High School, I came to Singapore for pre-university study at Hwa Chong Junior College (under Asean Scholarship). One may say this is a one-way ticket from Malaysia for most of the Asean Scholars, though some have managed to return to Malaysia after completing their university education in Singapore.

In those days, the Asean Scholars were housed in the hostel at the then defunct Nanyang University, which had been converted into Nanyang Technological Institute (NTI). I shared a room with my fellow classmate (Say Yeong) from Chung Ling. We shared a common bathroom/toilet with our neighbour. We occupied about 4 blocks of building. We had our meals (dinner during weekdays, lunch/dinner during weekends) at the canteen located just 3-4 blocks away (within walking distance from our dwellings).

In those days, the hostels were rather quite most of the days. Being a resident of NTI, we were entitled to use the sport facilities and swimming pool there. A bunch of us would meet up for badminton during weekend. I only dipped into the pool once or twice, as I could not swim then.

In those days, all of us studied either in Hwa Chong Junior College or National Junior College (one of the most prestigious colleges then). Alas, the colleges were quite far away from our hostel. There was a direct bus (Service 174) that plied between NTI - Bukit Timah (where both junior colleges are located) - North Bridge Bus Interchange; the journey from NTI to our colleges took up 1 hour of traveling time. In those days, we would wake up at around 6am, took the 6.20 am bus, so that we could reach our college before 7.30am. Fortunately, NTI was the first stop - hence, we were guaranteed of a seat; most of us would doze off along the trip, and being woke up by some kind souls when we reached our destinations.

There was one occasion where I woke up from my slumber, thought I was late and rushed down to the catch a bus after a quick shower, only to realize that I have mistaken 5.30am for 6.30am; to my  dismay, I had put on socks of different colours for that day....

In those days, the only ways of keeping in touch with family were either phone calls or letter writing. Mobile phone only exist in science fiction movies then. I had to prepare pocketful of coins, insert them one by one while making the phone call back to hometown. The conversation only ended when we had used up all the coins and the time limit was up.

Looking back, it was quite tough and miserable in the first month - adapting to new ways of life, meeting up new friends, polishing up English etc. Fortunately, I had a great bunch of friends in the hostel and in Junior College who had helped me in more ways than others in overcoming those difficulties. I got to know one of my best friends, Soo Teik, during those years in Junior College.

In our second year, Singapore was the host country for the SouthEastAsia Games (SEA GAMES). All students had to vacate the hostels at NTI for the participants of SEA games. I had the opportunity of staying in the old King Edward VII Hall (KE VII Hall) opposite Singapore General Hospital. This was the hall catering for medical students mainly. I shared the room there with Soo Teik for about 2 weeks, before returning back to new block of hostel in NTI.

A lot of things have changed over the years. NTI is now called NTU (Nanyang Technological University). It has since diversify its courses to include arts/social studies/ business etc, and recently into medicine. Many trees have been uprooted to make way for new buildings. The buildings that are still intact are Admin Building, NanTah Lake, and the recreation centre located on top of a high ground overlooking the swimming pool (we had our mooncake celebration in the rooftop in our first year).

Do I have any regret of coming to Singapore? No. This is the place where I have the opportunity to pursue my interest in medicine, establish a stable career in medical line, settle down with my wife and blessed with three children. I am a contented man!

No comments:

Post a Comment