Sunday 7 October 2012

Local food delights

My wife and I prefer local dishes to western food when it comes to meals. Perhaps it has something to do with our humble background - both of us came from traditional Chinese family background, and our parents had never ventured into restaurants selling western food. Instead roadside hawker food, and small family restaurant selling chicken rice or other local delights were our frequent haunts.

The first western food that I got a taste of was none other than fast food such as Kentucky Fried Chicken, A&W Burger and then MacDonald Burger. And I officially stepped into restaurant for lunch/high tea only after graduation from university.

Up till now, I still have difficulty in deciphering the menu of western restaurant. I only know steaks, sandwiches, salads, spaghetti; the names of all other dishes are totally foreign to me. Not uncommonly, I am still left dumbfounded even after the waiters have tried their best to enlighten me. I usually end up choosing randomly by the ingredient offered in the various dishes; and of course, more than half of the time the dishes turn up less than palatable to my taste buds.

I must admit that both my wife and I are less than adventurous in our choice of meals, even when we eat out. Our children have also been inadvertently "brain-washed" with the same mentality. The followings are some of the sampling of our lunch/dinner when we are eating out:

Minced Meat Noodles at Coffee Shop
Rice+Vegetables+Fish, Prawn Noodles and Kopi

Food Court @ Bk Batok

Kopitiam at Bk Batok

Cheng Yee enjoying her Laksa and Sugar Cane Juice @ Jurong East Hawker Centre




No comments:

Post a Comment