Wednesday 18 July 2012

Kind of busy lately ...

I have been rather busy over the past 2 weeks, having to work through off days and forgoing the regular keep fit schedules.

Suddenly, there is a "deluge" of patients being admitted for neurological disorders over the past 2 weeks. One of them was particularly quite severe and challenging - she present with acute deterioration of her seizures, the underlying cause of which is still a mystery.

It is a real "torture" when treating ill patients who continue to deteriorate clinically despite the best of my treatment plan. And this is exactly my current predicament. I am managing an adolescent girl with refractory seizures despite the use of high dose anti-epileptic medicines. I have proposed a brain biopsy for definitive diagnosis of the underlying cause of her seizures. The caregivers were understandably apprehensive and reluctant to pursue that route. And I could certainly empathize with them - who wants an operation to be done on the BRAIN!

I have been managing many children with acute neurological disorders for over 10 years. It is less tormenting when I was working as part of a team in public hospital; the burden of managing the patients was shared among all parties involved.

However, in private practice, the onus of taking care of the patients falls squarely on me alone. I have encountered sleepless nights on several occasions, cracking my head thinking of all possible options (in treating a sick patient) and being woken up several times in the wee hours of the days (answering calls from worried nurses attending the patients). Sometimes I just feel that I should just "let go" and send the patients off to public hospital. However, it is the trust and appreciation of the patients' family members that tend to spur me on...




No comments:

Post a Comment